So it’s Sunday afternoon and the all to short weekend is coming to a close – was talking to Helen Highwater yesterday and she has this theory that the weekend is in fact only one day, Friday night doesn’t count because you’ve been at work all day and Sunday doesn’t count because you’re bracing yourself for work the next day so Saturday is the only truly free day – I’ve got to say, I totally agree. Anyway, I have a lot on my mind at the moment but it isn’t organised enough yet for me to even try to blog about it at the moment so let’s keep this light shall we.
Here are the five albums that I would want with me if I were stuck on a desert island:
1. Foo Fighters – The Color and the Shape
2. John Mayer – Continuum
3. Elliot Smith – Either/Or
4. Nada Surf – The Weight is a Gift
5. Strays Don’t Sleep – Strays Don’t Sleep, or maybe some Van Morrison or Vampire Weekend or PJ Harvey to get a bit of representation in for the girls.
Obviously I should just pray for the kind of deserted island where I have my ipod, power and a charger!
The five movies that I would need on a desert island:
1. Wristcutters: A love story
2. Singin’ In the Rain
3. Everything Is Illuminated
4. Breakfast at Tiffany’s
5. Me, you and everyone we know
The five books:
Trying to write this it has come to my attention that the majority of books I love are quite dark and cynical or heartbreaking. If I were to be stuck on a desert island I would probably crave more of the comforting envelops you like a hug vein but I love what I love so here they are.
1. F. Scott Fitzgerald – The Great Gatsby
2. Virgil – Doomed Love
3. Douglas Copeland – Generation X
4. James Joyce – Ulysses – because it’s probably the only time I would have enough time on my hands to be determined enough to make it the whole way through
5. Jack Kerouac – Book of Haikus
Wow, it was hard to narrow that down to 5, I think if this desert island thing is going to work for me I am also going to need to buy a Kindle (which I am totally opposed to normally, the idea of a world without books horrifies me) and download every book written. Or maybe I would need my laptop possibly with some kind of inbuilt solar devise and the capacity to download.
Conclusion, despite the fact that I think I would kick ass building shelter and living like the Swiss Family Robinson my mind would not do well on a desert island, I require far too much intellectual stimulation , maybe I should just dump all the things and take someone with me, J are you up for it?
– I just called Singin’ In the Rain intellectual stimulation didn’t I, haha.